Take the 2016 challenge! Financial resolutions that will double your account.
Congratulations, It is the last day of 2015. Maybe you also just got paid and you are in the New Year resolution mode. Before you spend a kobo in 2016, make a 2016 FINANCIAL RESOLUTION.
These are our TOP 10 financial resolutions for 2016. You are not expected to adopt the 10! No way! Rather, reflect on them and ask yourself these these questions:
- What will I stop doing in 2016? PICK the most crucial one.
- What will I start doing in 2016? PICK the most crucial one.
- What will I continue to do in 2016? PICK the most crucial one.
These top financial resolutions are:
- In 2016, i will earn an honest living. Yes, someone needs to say it. HONEST is the key word here. Is it possible to earn an honest living in Nigeria? mrsceonaija says YES.
- In 2016, I will live within my income: NEVER incur debt except for good assets . NEVER spend what you don’t have on wants.
- In 2016, I will save regularly. Yes, we know many did not commit regular savings in 2015. BIG MISTAKE. The key word here is REGULAR. Talk to your bank and enroll in their automatic savings program.
- In 2016, I will have a financial goal: A goal needs to be specific, measurable, actionable, timely and realistic. Don’t fall the trap of ‘I will save in 2016’. Rather, I will save N100,000 by the end of the year. Another example is ‘I will liquidate 80% of my debts by June 2016’ or I will get 1 landed property near my work place’ or I will invest N50,000 in learning a new skill that will generate N80,000 by the end of the year.
- In 2016, I will Give: This may not sound logical but when you give, you receive. So find someone that you can influence and make a change no matter how little. It doesn’t have to be cash, you can pass your neat second-hand books to someone who needs that education. You can volunteer time to tutor someone who can’t pay for a lesson teacher, you can voluntarily retweet for mrsceonaija, you can do someone’s free make-over, you can consult for an NGO. There is something in your hands- GIVE.
- In 2016, I will invest in myself. When last did you read a book on global trends, on finance, on management, on leadership, on strategic partnership, on Nigeria, on anything valuable? A reader is a leader. Please, follow mrsceonaija to get stimulating articles in 2016. Attend relevant trainings, take meaningful certification, learn a new skill.
Your mind is your greatest asset.
- In 2016, I will Budget: Have a budget and stick to it. Countries and companies take budgeting seriously! Why wouldn’t you? Excuse me, Plan ahead.
- In 2016, I will drop trends and embrace Confidence: If you love acquiring the latest car, latest phone, latest bag, latest watch, latest shoe, latest gadgets, STOP IT! Attain self-confidence instead and whatever you possess will exude class.
- In 2016, I will stop impulse shopping: 2016 is the year to rebuke any random urges. You just cannot ‘feel like’ buying something every day. It’s a bad feeling. Yes, splurge once in a while but not every time PHCN seizes electricity.
- In 2016, I will grow multiple sources of income: There is a Yoruba adage- Ona kan ko wo oja . The translation is that there are many routes into the market. Get creative.
So tell us, what will you stop, what will you start, what will you continue? HAPPY NEW YEAR!