7 ways to keep yourself productive whilst waiting!
This article is mainly for those awaiting employment, those with some ‘free time’. Examples include NYSC Corpers, unemployed fresh graduates, experienced graduates that are out of job and more!
First, why is this important? This is important because time is the only common currency everyone has. Whether male or female, African, Asian, rich, poor, we all have equal access to time. No one pays for it; No one has more of it at any given time. No one has premium class time! The ONLY difference is the way we choose to use time. The quality of your time management determines your output.
If you sow idleness, you reap redundancy and vice versa. Hence, it is important to keep the mind creatively busy especially in times when there is no planned schedule of activities. Here are a few examples.
- Deep positive reflection. In many parts of the world, the education system is designed to enable students identify their strengths early in life. This is why many global billionaires discover themselves as early as their teenage years. Zuckerberg became the world’s youngest billionaire in 2008 when he was just 23 years-old. This didn’t come by stroke of luck, it came from early self –discovery and action. He fell in love with computers and learnt to use it at age 10! He founded FACEBOOK at the age of 20 years! These types of early wins are based on early self-discovery. Take time in your waiting time to reflect positively on your strengths. What is your passion? What do you love doing? What are you extremely good at? Try to identify these!
- Research! Now that you know your strengths, strive to be the best at it. Research, learn, read, and practice so you can become better.
- Take classes: You can go beyond research to taking classes. If you love designing, take interior decoration or fashion classes. If you love computers, take computer programming classes. If you love speaking, take speaking classes, if you love soccer, join a local league! If you love languages, take language lessons. The list is endless. If you also want to pursue the professional career route, this is the best time to take your professional exams. Don’t restrict yourself to physical classes only, explore online global education!
- Teach others: Yes, it sounds weird but you will always find someone that knows less than you do! You can train them voluntarily. Teaching others is always a good way to improve your skills as you are challenged and constantly questioned.
- Earn some money by the side. Yes, you may not have the perfect job but you can do some part-time jobs during some hours of the day. Examples, do some private home tutoring, receptionist on a part time basis, bake cake/snacks and supply supermarkets, run a small beauty salon from your house, raise a few domestic animals for sale, buy fashion items from the city and sell in your community, start a blog, do beauty make-overs, source local food items in community and supply to city- you can deliver through reliable taxis, be a private gym instructorJ, start a small football viewing center and so on. All you need is to identify an unmet need in your community and provide the solution.
- Enjoy other hobbies too. You don’t need to take yourself too seriously nonetheless. Indulge in other hobbies, networking, attend events/conferences, exercise, travel the city and generally enjoy this period. This is also a good time to invest in relationship with friends, family and your social capital.
- Community service/Volunteer. This is the period you can easily give back to the society. I remember I joined the anti-drugs sensitization group during my NYSC days. It was so refreshing. Lastly, Keep preparing and searching: BOYS SCOUT! Be 100% ready for a job test, job interview, business pitch at any time. Keep your eyes open, leverage social media job sites such as LinkedIn to constantly get job vacancy news but more importantly, be constantly prepared for a job test and interview. Read veraciously about how to prepare for job tests, write sample tests at home, do interview role plays at home with your friends and family.Good luck and stay positive. Comments, questions?